Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Module 12 Google Earth - Bringing your map to life, with a tool non-techie laypersons can use!

Our goal this week was to export our Dot Density map to a KMZ file and then use that information in addition to some placemarks to create a recorded tour of South Florida.  Although we had previously created the Dot Density map, we needed to save it to a new map and perform some tweaks.  In order for the dots to be visible, we made the background hollow.  My urban land layer was already off and my surface water was symbolized by category; my legend needed to be recreated in a more simplistic fashion in order to work with Google Earth.  Once those tasks were complete, I exported the Map to a .kmz using the Map to KML tool.  I then exported the Dot Density layer to a .kmz by using the Layer to KML tool.  Once complete I exited my map, opened Google Earth Pro and imported my two .kmz files.  I moved the dot density layer to my map layer, adjusted the color and then saved using the save place as function.
 
I then created a layer for my tour stops making sure to place them in a location that would be suitable for my zoom areas and to label them clearly.  I also made sure to turn on the 3D buidlings layer so that they would be visible.  When I began to record my tour, I found the mouse to be too difficult to control for smooth video; consequently, I did some research and used the information found here https://support.google.com/earth/answer/148115 to obtain the keyboard shortcuts.  When rotating using the mouse, shift and arrow keys, the speed was too fast; I added the alt key simultaneously with the shift key and cut my speed by half.  After a couple of practice runs I recorded my final video.

No comments:

Post a Comment