Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Final Project ~ Analysis of Food Deserts within The City of Port St. Lucie, Fl.

The most challenging part of this project for me was using all the combinations of the open source software; ESRI has me spoiled.  After analyzing the data I have to again say I was surprised by the results, but certainly stand behind them.  I have learned that what may be a food oasis to me could be a desert for someone else within my same community due to their age, income, lack of transportation or any combination thereof.  Because I live in a well-developed area in the heart of the city with access to many things, including grocery stores I did not expect to find the number of food deserts illustrated on the map.  Once I studied the locations it made perfect sense as over the years the city has annexed more and more properties and outside contractors had begun development.  When the economy began to fail several years ago, development stopped, including commercial entities such as grocery stores which were planned in proximity to many of the developments.  I’m happy to say that trend is beginning to turn so I expect that the food deserts will be reduced over the next few years.

Here is a link to my Leaflet Map (best viewed on a large monitor to avoid panning):


This is the link to my final power point project:

No comments:

Post a Comment