Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Module 7: Working with Spatial Data

This week we explored and manipulated spatial data by checking for, describing and listing data.  We worked with lists, dictionaries, Search Cursors, Update Cursors, Insert Cursors and learned to validate table and field names.  Here is a screen shot of this week’s script results in which we created a new geodatabase and populated it with information from an existing database.  Once created we listed the feature classes within our new database, used a Search Cursor and field delimiter to create a loop which would obtain names and populations for only County Seats.  This information was then used to update our empty dictionary; after updating, it was printed.

1.      I struggled with steps 6-8.  Initially I thought we were supposed to print the Search Cursor results which I was finally able to achieve after trying numerous variations of the exercises in the book and lab exercises.  I was finally able to get past my road block by adding Field Delimiter.  I then printed the resulting row.  As I moved on to the next section I realized we were supposed to develop a blend of steps 5-7 to achieve our results.  What was hanging me up with this portion was my placement of my empty dictionary creation.

2.      Once I placed my empty dictionary creating inside my for loop I was able to create variables for row 0 and row 1, update by dictionary and print the dictionary.



No comments:

Post a Comment